If you do not qualify for LASIK eye surgery, you may be a good candidate for other vision correction procedures.
Researching alternatives to LASIK surgery can be an overwhelming process – we’re here to help. The eye doctors at Minnesota Eye Consultants will help you determine the procedure that best fits your particular eye needs.
LASIK Alternative procedures may include:
- PRK (Photorefractive Keratectomy) is used in treating low to moderate levels of myopia or hyperopia with or without astigmatism. During the PRK procedure, the epithelium (the surface of the cornea) is sculpted by a cool laser beam. A soft contact lens is applied to protect the eye as it heals and will be removed within 5 to 7 days after the procedure. A patient may experience mild discomfort and blurry vision for a few weeks after surgery but gradual improvement can be seen within the first month. The most visual improvement may be experienced a year after the procedure. PRK results are slower than LASIK, but PRK can be very effective for those who were not an ideal candidate for LASIK eye surgery.
- CK is not only used as an alternative to LASIK, but also for a variety of corneal pathology. Unlike LASIK eye surgery that involves a laser, CK releases pulses of radio-frequency waves that are used to reshape the cornea. When the radio-frequency energy is applied in a particular pattern, it shrinks and constricts small areas of corneal tissue, reshaping the eye and ultimately improving vision.
- Phakic IOL’s are artificial lens implants that are placed inside the eye while the patient’s natural lens remains intact. Although the first type of this technology was FDA approved for the treatment of myopia or nearsightedness in 2004, the physicians and surgeons at Minnesota Eye Consultants have been implanting these lenses for the treatment of high degrees of nearsightedness and farsightedness since 1998 as part of the multi-center, national research studies.
- Refractive Lens Exchange (or Natural Lens Replacement) is a surgical procedure that gives patients an alternative to reading glasses and can reduce or eliminate presbyopia by using an advanced multifocal intraocular lens implant. During this procedure, the natural lens of the eye is removed and replaced by an intraocular lens (IOL). Multifocal lenses are meant to improve your vision at various distances with less dependence on glasses.
- KAMRA Corneal Inlay is an eye procedure that restores near vision and frees you from the constant frustrations of reading glasses. It is ideal for active people looking to no longer depend on reading glasses or contact lenses for their everyday activities. To see if you’re a likely candidate, take our KAMRA Inlay Self Test!
At Minnesota Eye Consultants you can feel confident in your choice. The physicians and staff are passionate about their roles and are dedicated to improving quality of life by providing their patients with the best visual outcomes possible.